Any fire, big or small, is extremely disruptive to your property and well-being. It is important to spend time identifying and correcting potential fire hazards in your home. Below are common fire hazards in the home that should be checked regularly.
- HVAC system: Check to see if the wiring is intact, and if the system has been serviced recently.
- Fireplace: When was the last time you used and cleaned your fireplace?
- Electronics: Be aware of what devices are plugged in and how long they have been plugged in for to avoid overheating.
- Overloaded outlets: The National Fire Protection Association recommends plugging no more than one high-wattage appliance into an outlet at once.
- Garbage cans: Check to see what fire-prone items may be sitting out; Items such as cigarette butts and greasy rags.
- Kitchen cloths: Leaving towels and rags too close to the stovetop can cause them to catch fire.
- Appliances: Routinely check the wiring for signs of wear and tear.
- Clothes dryers: Clean the lint trap routinely. Untouched, lint can build up in your dryer duct with every load of laundry.
- Glassware: Move glassware, such as vases, away from windows so concentrated rays of sunlight do not ignite flammable materials, such as stacks of papers.
- Loose batteries: Bits of metal, including other batteries and loose change, can create a heat-creating charge. To prevent this, keep unused batteries in their original packaging and cover the posts of expired batteries with the black electrical tape before disposing of them.
- Electric blankets: Keep your blanket flat while using it.
- Space heaters: Keep a space heater at least 3 feet away from anything combustible, including curtains, furniture and walls, and turn it off when you leave the room.
If your property is damaged by a fire, call your insurance then call Palace Restoration. Our Reconstruction team will perform an expert evaluation of your loss to assess the extent of any structural damage or other safety concerns. We work with your insurance carrier throughout the process and assist you in answering any questions they may have for you. We guarantee a smoke odor free environment when complete and that your property is as beautiful as ever.