The National Fire Protection Association offers handbooks and other publications on the fire safety code in place for businesses.
Fire protection equipment
- Have an automatic sprinkler system in place.
- Stock smoke detectors and fire extinguishers on every floor.
- Equip your employees with an emergency kit stocked with items like bottled water, a flashlight, and an escape mask to fight against smoke inhalation.
Safety tips for your employees
- Fire Plan. Conduct a fire drill at least once a year to keep employees aware of your workplace fire safety protocol.
- Have a Safety Officer. Designate a person as your office’s fire prevention officer. Their duties will include keeping all of your safety plans, equipment and information updated.
- Leave Space for Appliances. Leave some room behind appliances that heat up, like coffee machines and computers, to allow them to cool down. Keep all of your business appliances away from combustible materials, like paper or cloth. If possible, unplug these appliances at the end of the day as most business fires occur after typical operating hours.
- Regularly Replace Wiring. Check power cords regularly for fraying, broken connectors or cracked insulation. Only use one extension cord per outlet and follow manufacturer recommendations for maximum wattage when using power strips. Avoid “octopus wiring,” when wires and plugs clutter around one outlet, as it could lead to an overload.
- Evacuation Plan. In larger buildings, post a fire evacuation plan in several spots around the workplace. Businesses with disabled employees should develop a detailed evacuation for those employees needing additional assistance in an emergency.
- First Aid. In case of fire injuries, your employees should be familiar with the location of the first-aid kit, which should be kept where possible hazards can occur most, such as in the kitchen.
If your property is damaged by a fire, call your insurance then call Palace Restoration. Our Reconstruction team will perform an expert evaluation of your loss to assess the extent of any structural damage or other safety concerns. We work with your insurance carrier throughout the process and assist you in answering any questions they may have for you. We guarantee a smoke odor free environment when complete and that your property is as beautiful as ever.